Sunday, September 17, 2006

Just Keep Looking

I live in a beautiful place - wild, remote and soul-reviving, with not more than a couple hundred other hardy souls (summer tourists not counting.)
Unfortunately, most of those fellow residents aren't people I care for. No; I care for many of them; perhaps I mean "enjoy." We have little in common, and less to discuss. As a rule, I don't like to ask them questions about themselves or their lives, because I usually could not care less about the answers.
How nice, then, to meet a new neighbor who is bright, interesting, and promises to be fun to talk to. I traded a quilt I made (and he admired) for a book he wrote. We'll see if it was a win-win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is "serendipity" the right word?

Powder said...

Thanks, whoever you might be - yes, "serendipity" fits; I didn't use it, however, because it has become over-used. (My association with the word dates back to the early 1960's when hardly anyone knew it!