Sunday, August 05, 2007

Back from the Wars

I'm sorry for the long silence! Actually, I've been on what we'll call medical leave; several surgeries to correct some increasingly debilitating problems. It was long, tedious and a bit grueling, but I'm well on my way back to life as it should be. The summer is waning; at least here in the high country, where Labor Day signals the beginning of autumn. My hummingbird count is around fifteen, busily draining the sugarwater from my five feeders. The Rufouses (named for their rusty-redness) have made their late-summer appearance; they are aggressively territorial and greedy, so the deck is now often the scene of whirring hummer-wars. Quite amazing little creatures; they are unendingly delightful to watch.
I suppose we could call this post a "soft re-entry" - perfect for such a splendid, sunny summer morning. I'll get to more serious topics later!

Powder

No comments: